Hi Tammy,
I can't put into words the difference that being in YSP has made to my parenting. DS11 is just a square peg that wouldn't not, couldn't be made to fit into that round hole without a fight! Even with the IQ scores, no one locally had any idea of the implications of those scores - including me, DH, the school and the tester.

Plus I see myself and my own path in such a different light - even being MG or HG in this world, is enough to make everything seem upside down and swimmy. I'm a much calmer person, and waste very little energy trying to "look normal" these days. Before I wasted so much energy trying to "pass" and I wouldn't have minded so much if I could have, but I never could!

Luckily DS found some other boys of roughly similar age through the YSP that we are able to get together with for playdates. This has been the key that has gotten him through the tough years. Even now with things going really well at school, and having friends there, there is still something so special about the afternoons he spends with his YSP friends. He can finally have a chance to be himself.

Interestingly YSP is set up to help parents advocate for the children, but I really see my son's social and emotional needs being met through the program. If the program focused on social and emotional needs without the help and concern on getting the academics "close enough" then I doubt that his social and emotional needs would be met. Weird paradox, huh?

Your current school's clustering and compacting policy is worlds ahead of what we have in our state. That may be all she needs.
Best Wishes,
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com