I know there will be others with much more experience than me to answer this but I'll give my 2cents. too!

My dd entered K at 4yrs old. She was beyond kindergarten academically. She was tested when we moved to a new state and I was told that she was at a 2nd grade level. The school suggested accelerating her work within the class rather than skip because they weren't sure she had the maturity yet to handle an older classroom. I agreed. I think that plays a huge role in deciding wether or not to skip your child. If your son may not be able to handle more than 45min at a time of instruction then he may not be ready for school yet as far as that maturity goes. BUT because he's so young and so far ahead I would be researching (as you are!) what the best course of action would be for him. Hopefully others can have some suggestions or ideas.

Oh, and how the school handles him is also a huge factor. Some schools are great about adjusting the work for high kids, others are not. I would try talking with his potential school and find out what they would do with him. Would they suggest skipping, adjust work etc?

GL!