Hi!

Well, I have a few updates. It's late and I'm a bit sleepy so I will try to be as organized as I can with my thoughts.

First of all, some good news: our school district is open to grade skipping. I spoke with a counselor today who told me that their goal is to serve every child. At first, she stated that they would do a 4 to 6 week trial in kindergarten, and make the change to first grade if appropriate. I have to provide IQ testing and achievement testing scores. I explained that I did not feel it would be in his best interest to move him during the middle of the semester. I told her a bit more about him, including reading and writing at age two. I explained the current "behavior" issues, and my concerns about his current placement. I simply came out and asked if she would consider allowing him to start the year in first grade if I supplied test scores, and she agreed. She was eventually very nice and seems open to really helping us.

I also spoke with DS's current teacher. She emphasized that she did not want to imply that he has Asberger's. She only brought it up in relation to a conversation we were having about another child, now in his 20's, with a very high IQ and a few different behaviors. Then she said, "besides, if your DS has it, I'm sure it's very mild." Interpret that as you wish. smile She asked if I could observe him in other settings, such as church, where he's in a more chaotic environment with children moving around, etc. She told me that Asberger's presents itself in those types of environments more than at home. I emphasized that I do not think he has any real symptoms, except that he read early. She emphasized that the symptoms may only be obvious in settings such as school or church. This is a new one for me. Any thoughts? I just feel like she is trying to find a diagnosis, and is not open to the possibility that he's just a bright kid who is no longer appropriately stimulated. I just feel like she is looking for a "problem." And it's surprising to me. I feel like I would be the last person to be in denial about a potential disorder such as Asberger's. I just can't see any correlation. Is it really possible to see one side of my child at home, with family, with friends, at play...and to see another completely different side of him at school? That I don't ever see at home?

Which makes me feel more confident that I should find another plan, and withdraw him from the school. Our goal is to have Plan B in place by the end of next month. I don't know how realistic it is to have him tested within the next few weeks. I suppose it could take awhile to get on a list?

I spoke to our local university about testing, at someone's recommendation. They typically have PhD students perform the testing, and the children are typically those who are suspected to have learning disabilities. My child would not fit the typical description. So...I'm thinking this is not a good option. The school counselor I spoke with gave me a few names to contact, along with the GT coordinator for this area/district. So I have a bit more research to do.

I feel so deflated that I'm even being asked to observe my own son in another setting to see if I can identify the red flags for Asberger's. I would be the first to be his advocate if he was diagnosed. I am a physical therapist and believe strongly in early intervention with a variety of therapy needs. So I do not feel that I am blind to this issue. I just think this is being blown way out of proportion.

I told his teacher today that I have found a wonderful support group/forum/resource online, and that I firmly believe that his "issues" are not related to autism, but rather to the fact that he has an amazing little mind. I told her what I have read and heard from all of you about the potential "behavior" issues, or defense mechanisms, as I prefer :), around this time of preschool. I told her that I would love to see how he interacts with a classroom of 6 and 7 year olds. She voiced her support and her interest in trying to help Jonathan. She was excited that this path may be our path, as opposed to Asberger's, which, again, we don't really take seriously anyway.I felt pretty brave,heehee, when I told her that I feel like his current environment is no longer appropriate. I told her that I don't feel like she has necessarily contributed to that fact, but rather, it just no longer meets his needs. She really is a lovely person and I know she cares about Jonathan. Perhaps these teachers typically have little experience in identifying those children with behaviors who have our son's developmental history. So I'm trying not to hold her accountable for suggesting that he may need a diagnosis. I'm trying to just deal with this and realize that no one caused it. It just is what it is. It happened as a result of DS being in the wrong environment for too long.

OK. Enough rambling.

Thanks again for any advice/input you have. I would welcome any further comments.

Thanks,
Allison