Originally Posted by ziggy
You all have already been a huge help because everyone around me only offers words of discouragement when I bring up HS'ing. I have no one here supporting the idea, only that I'm putting him in a bubble, and that he's already an only and that he needs the socialization of kids at school. I've visited his school a few times and it's not the kind of socialization I had in mind!

I think at one time this "bubble" thing might have been the case. But nowadays, "homeschooling" probably ought to be called "carschooling!" We are NEVER home! There are so many opportunities for positive, healthy social time available that there's just no reason to be scared of homeschooling for social reasons.

And I didn't even list all the non-homeschool specific opportunities for a child to be social: YMCA classes (including art and science, not just sports), competitive sports teams, GT enrichment programs, time at the park, playdates, neighborhood play, etc. Even a trip to the store can be a chance to use good manners and practice small talk.

It is a bit more work to find time to be social than it would be if we simply put our children on the bus in the morning. But it's out there. And it's not at all hard to find!

Plus I think it pays to keep in mind that much of the school day in a bricks-and-mortar school is not social time. Some schools are better than others about group work and such, but a lot of schools are about sitting down and being quiet except during recess and lunch. That's how it was for my son, anyway. Not a lot of social opportunities there! Not really!

If you want to talk more, just post. There are a lot of HSers here so you can at least get some idea of what it's like from inside. There are a lot of myths and misconceptions about homeschooling floating around out there. I'm all about pros and cons when making a decision, but I think it's better to get them from people who have some experience with the issue. You know?

Kriston