I forgot to mention in my post that the link and video are about The Lighthouse Program in Spring Lake Park, MN (twin cities suburb). They have taken away grade designations and let the kids work at their own level. The video shows a pretty interesting classroom, where every kid has a computer workstation and is allowed to move about freely.

(I believe you're right about the distance, hkc, since i have inside info that you're in the opposite direction!)

OK - DOK here. Check this out:

Originally Posted by Lighthouse Program
How will the different age groups� needs be met within the Lighthouse Program?
Lighthouse Program students� learning needs will be met by creating a differentiated classroom. Differentiated learning embraces content, management, instruction and assessment. It means that at times, some students will be working independently and at other times they will be engaged in guided learning. They will work alone and together. Groupings will be determined by interest, not necessarily age. Students will work at learning stations, on task assignments, on collaborative investigations and other research options. They will engage in lecture, Socratic dialogue, learning circles, and creative production. Lighthouse program students may engage in concurrent enrollment with the high school, enrolling in specific coursework to meet credit requirements or to gain the necessary knowledge for success in further Lighthouse Program investigations. Differentiated instruction responds to the nature of the Lighthouse Program student. One size fits few.

http://www.springlakeparkschools.org/schools/la/la_lighthouse_faqs.asp

Last edited by st pauli girl; 03/07/09 08:01 AM.