My 10 year old son with mild motor dyspraxia has to compensate for what I think is just a motor sequencing problem. Whatever it was caused caused problems in writing numbers and showing his work and doing this quickly and it also made it more difficult for him to do the amount of work that would be required in school, which is why I was so happy when he was finally able to do one whole page of math.

I think one of the reasons he didn't like math was because his writing difficulties slowed him way down. To compensate for some of this he is better at mental math than I am and he comes up with other ways to get the answers faster than I can do it.

In piano it is difficult for him to memorize piano pieces. He has to compensate by reading the music. His dad and I have always had the ability to pick out tunes on the piano and guess with reasonable accuracy where the next note would be and play that note. Our son can't do this at all. His piano teacher says he is obviously a visual learner and I have always seen him as both visual and auditory, pretty much 50/50 but when you add motor planning and motor memory issues, it looks like he has trouble with auditory memory.