Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: zaichiki Compensating? - 02/27/09 04:12 AM
He was tested on the WISC IV and id'd as gifted. WM average and Processing Speed 34%ile. His lowest subtest score was on sequencing, where he got an 8. Psychologist suggested he may have some issues there and recommended further testing, which we did not do at the time.

We're homeschooling now, but plan to put him in school in the fall. I'm considering options for grade/subject level placement. I think he's compensating in math (see above info). He doesn't like math, though I think he is working a year above age level. I'm not sure though. Do you think a subject acceleration in math would be a good idea?

Ds is nearly 10 and uses Singapore Math 4B. Topics he's covered in math this year include factors, simplifying fractions/mixed numbers, adding and subtracting fractions (like and different denominators), measuring angles, area and perimenter of rectangles and composite figures, multiplying and dividing decimals, and volume of cuboids. What do fourth graders (using Everyday Math curriculum, especially) do in math in the public schools?

And if he IS compensating in math at home (one-on-one), could he handle continuing to work at this level in a classroom? I don't want him to sit in the classroom and practicing spacing out.

Wish I could see into the future, but I'm hoping for your thoughts.

Thanks!
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Compensating? - 02/27/09 03:12 PM
If you are thinking in terms of - is he doing better one on one than he could do in the school, that is a possibility. When I think of compensating, I think of a child with a learning disorder/difference who is using other clues/parts of the brain to get by. They are struggling even though they might still be getting ok grades, when stressed this would show up more.

What additional testing did the psych suggest? Could you have something similar done through the school? I would consider the additional testing to get a handle on what if any accomodation he might need in the classroom to really do his best(and enjoy math instead of sort of be ok with it)

I am not sure of the 4th grade curriculum; our school does 'investigations' so it goes back and forth a bit, but in 3rd it's some geometry (planes and solids, various terms, etc) Measurement, no formulas other than perimeter, and not even in a formulaic way right now. Beginning multiplication concepts, some practice on the lower numbers.
Posted By: zaichiki Re: Compensating? - 02/28/09 01:52 AM
Yes, that was my question: is his current level of math due to compensating for the weakness in sequencing. And, with the lower processing speed, would he be able to continue at the same level in a classroom.

I found Everyday Math's website. Topics (goals) covered are listed for each grade level. When ds goes to school in the fall he would be fifth grade by age. I am considering requesting a placement in sixth.

Math is ds's relative weak subject, as he is more advanced with his reading, writing, spelling, and exposure to history and science. He's also very strong in the arts. So, my big worry is math. If he's compensating there now, and maybe only doing what he is doing due to the one-on-one nature of homeschooling, will he be able to handle a classroom setting for sixth grade math next year?

I know that no-one has a crystal ball, but I'm hoping for "been there done that" or general impressions.

The other question lying in the wings would be whether or not the lower processing speed and sequencing scores suggest a possiblity of a LD. I don't remember the specific testing suggested by the psych, but she was also wondering if there were attention issues. (It has since become obvious that there is no ADHD with this kid, but I'm sure he looked the part at the time of testing.) I don't think accomdations would impact his feelings about math. He's just not a math kid, I guess. Neither was I (although I did very well in math at school, I just didn't enjoy math).

Thanks,
smile
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Compensating? - 02/28/09 12:24 PM
I think it's hard to tell so much from one test. Others can give more concrete info but kids can score very different on the PSI/WMI portion of the WISCIV vs the SBV. THe SBV is supposed to be more engaging. If it's one aberrant subtest for PSI, I think it's more suspect. Now if the scores match something you see at home, then that's another matter. I would try to pursue more testing to get at what the issue is, if at all possible.

Everyday math often repeats topic so it's hard to go by what's in the TOCs b/c not all that is mastery depending on the grade....much of it at certain times is just exposure and mastery is expected the next year.
Posted By: Lori H. Re: Compensating? - 02/28/09 02:01 PM
My 10 year old son with mild motor dyspraxia has to compensate for what I think is just a motor sequencing problem. Whatever it was caused caused problems in writing numbers and showing his work and doing this quickly and it also made it more difficult for him to do the amount of work that would be required in school, which is why I was so happy when he was finally able to do one whole page of math.

I think one of the reasons he didn't like math was because his writing difficulties slowed him way down. To compensate for some of this he is better at mental math than I am and he comes up with other ways to get the answers faster than I can do it.

In piano it is difficult for him to memorize piano pieces. He has to compensate by reading the music. His dad and I have always had the ability to pick out tunes on the piano and guess with reasonable accuracy where the next note would be and play that note. Our son can't do this at all. His piano teacher says he is obviously a visual learner and I have always seen him as both visual and auditory, pretty much 50/50 but when you add motor planning and motor memory issues, it looks like he has trouble with auditory memory.
Posted By: vivace Re: Compensating? - 02/28/09 09:28 PM
I have the same issues with my 12 years old son. His processing speed is very slow, very poor handwriting. He does not like to show math steps and I was worried that he might be behine in Math especially he was losing interests. The psychologist said that he would be happy to test him when he is ready to do test such as SAT and the it would be allowed to use wordprocessor and given more time. I recently found him a math teacher, and she is having him working on Algebra, she said he was bored with simple math, and said my son should take the Algebra II from the local college next semester and that he is one of those kids that would be doing Calculus before high school is over. I am just speechless. Visual spacial learners typically takes longer to memorize music or a speech. I have 2 children, one of each kind. Joy of life.
Posted By: zaichiki Re: Compensating? - 02/28/09 10:10 PM
We notice that ds prefers to use pencil and paper for math, as he has trouble keeping more than two place values in his mind at a time. Subtraction and division were more of a struggle for him, too. (I think he is a little advanced in math, so the struggle is relative. It was a frustration FOR HIM, though.) We're assuming these challenges are related to the sequencing, coding, and backward digit span subtests, which were significantly lower than the other subtests.

I know about the spiraling of topics in Everyday Math. I actually used to use this curriculum many moons ago in my previous life as a classroom teacher (younger grades). I will continue to use Singapore Math, sparingly, with ds at home after school.

Ds doesn't have any fine motor struggles (writes easily and draws extremely well). Though he is a strong visual learner, bordering on photographic memory if he reads/sees something, he doesn't struggle with long-term auditory memory. I credit Suzuki lessons for this. Ds has been playing the cello for four years now. He has memorized 60+ songs, though he does enjoy sightreading as well (probably due to his strong visual bent).

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum