We also live in the best school district in our area. Actually we moved here specifically for that reason (in preparation for DS starting K). I wish I would have know I would end up HSing.....we could have saved ourselves a big huge mortgage. LOL!

DS went to public K and 1 month of 1st grade. I had several meetings with teachers and even the principal during that time, and no one had any interest in helping my son. Even the "gifted" program that he would have been in for the 2nd half of 1st grade was a joke. It was 45min 1 time per week. And all they worked on were critical thinking skills for 1st graders. We have been HSing for 1 1/2 years now, and it has truly been a blessing. He loves it, I love it, so it works out great.

Even the best teacher in the best school, can't give my child the quality of education that I want for him. Not when they have 20 or more kids to educate also. Now I will say that DD5 will be going to public K in the fall. She really wants to, and I think she will enjoy it. At least now I won't have too high of expectations. If she wants to come back home for 1st grade, then great!