What I am going to say here is only anecdotal, from my readings and conversations, no direct experience yet...

In the interset of full disclosure - DS is also and 8th grader who will start an IB program next year. The IB HS he intends to attend happens to be the best HS in the state (according to Newsweek ratings). The IB program there is the oldest in the state (close to 20 years) and they offer an array of IB subjects to choose from (more than 30).

Here is what I have been able to gather re AP/IB so far:

1) People have generally two reasons when looking at an advance program in HS - they are trying to accumulate college credits so then college goes faster/is less expensive OR they are looking for the most challenging curriculum that will stretch the student. I am not saying that one precludes the other, but you have to decide what is MOST important for your child.

2) If trying to go after advanced placement/credit in college, AP might be a better choice as it is still much more widely recognized program compared to IB.

3) If you are trying to deepen your child's education, in my opinion a well implemented IB program does a better job.

4) some schools offer combined AP/IB classes, meaning that while they prepare the kids for an IB exam, they will also make them ready, with minimal self study, for an AP test.

5)If you are looking for a college credit, most colleges will grant you one for a score of 4 or 5 on an AP exam(on a 5 scale) but you need to score 6 or 7 , and frequently only 7 (on a 7 scale) on a HL IB exam to get any credit. Hence it is easy to see that you have a better chance of earning a credit thorugh an AP test.

6) AP test are multiple choice, IB exam is an essay type/student produed response . Draw your own conclusion here.

7) You do not have to take an AP course to write the exam, you have to take a corresponding IB course to sit for an IB exam.
Therefore you see a lot of IB kids with several APs under their belt.

8) You can pick and choose your APs, not so much with your IBs, althought if the school offers a lot of IB courses you can do some cherry picking as well.

9) To graduate with an IB diploma, and this might differ from school to school, but at the one S is interested in you have to do more than your HS requires , you need to complete four years of each: math, english, science, foreign language.

10) IB program is not rigid - it depends on the program and willingness of a school to make accomodations.

11) Generally 9 and 10 grade consists of pre IB classes that put students on an IB track. Ex. if you want to pursue IB English HL you should take 10 Honors English as an 9th grader.

In my own very private opinion :IB is a much more balanced, much well rounded program, or maybe put differently - it encourages your student to be much more well rounded. I like to think of an IB as a pre college LAC education or great books curriculum smile
If you have a mathy kid, the kid will still have to take four years of English, will need to learn Euro History etc. Same goes for a great writer - will need to take math and science for 4 years. TOK course is something like a philosphy class - they answer questions "why do I know what I know", they learn how to be analytical in their thinking and argumentation. Ib kids are generally said to have no problems with writing when they get to college.

Please remember that every IB program is different. I would be very caucious with a pregorm that is new, ofers limited number of classes, although I do understand you have to start somewhere.