Greetings! I'm a newbie here in a remarkably similar situation to the original poster, with one big difference: we have an unsupportive teacher whose whole teaching philosophy for gifted kids seems to be "boredom is not an excuse for incomplete work and bad behavior." My gentle attempts to advocate for my son have been met with extreme defensiveness and a generally nasty attitude. With no idea what else to do and no desire to go to war with our child's teacher (!!!), we're pulling our gifted 1st grader out of school at the end of this week for homeschooling.

We're not in a position to accept most of the suggestions listed here--virtual academies, part-time homeschooling/part-time public school, etc. I will be the teacher and I need to plan his lessons.

So my question is this: does anyone have any curriculum suggestions that will offer us both some measure of structure as well as the flexibility for him to go through the material significantly faster than the average child? I'm particularly interested in math curriculum, though I'll welcome any and all suggestions I can get, regardless of subject matter.

Thanks! I've enjoyed reading the posts here, and I look forward to the responses you all will provide! Can't wait!

Kriston