Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Okay, we're ready to homeschool our first grader LD (first letters of our sons names). I just got back from another morning of volunteering at his school. He's got a fantastic teacher and yet he is still bored and so far from being challenged I stay up nights knowing I'm not doing enough. Last year I chalked up his boredom to a bad teacher (she's nice enough but has no desire to reach out to students much less parents concerns of students) This year the teacher's GREAT! but he's still bored. damn damn damn (I hope I can say that here) MCAS and No Child Left Behind!!!! I have absolutely no doubt that I can teach more than the schools can, at least in the early grades. I was hoping to get tidbits of advice that people have found over the years. I've never had LD tested but I'm pretty certain he'd be considered gifted. He's reading at at least a 3rd grade level. There is no school curriculum for anything but reading so I have no idea where he stands with any other subject. He's doing math problems in school that he easily mastered last year at home. He has an enormous interest in science and social studies. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
An author you might find useful is Lisa Rivero

_Creative Homeschooling_,
and _Gifted Education Comes Home:A Case for Self Directed Learning_

If your son has been very very frustrated in school, you may want to have him take a month or so off from any kind of learning that he doesn't want to do...many of the moms report this as being needed.

While your son is decompressing, you can bring him to the Library and let him rediscover his love of learning, and get your self ready for the "school" part of homeschooling.

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/gifted_101.htm has lots of guides to giftedness in general and homeschooling in particular.

Alternativly, you can just ask your son each morning, what do you want to learn today, this week and this month. Bring his interests back here for more ideas, websites, books or to your local librarian.

Congradulations on this big step, we want to hear all about it.
Trinity
It doesn't matter if your child tests at gifted or not, all children benefit from the same type of education..which is learn at your own pace type education. I have really had to learn to let go with my children. I have good solid spelling, handwriting, writing, grammar, math programs (because these are the skills, tools, for learning) and now I let them do whatever their hearts desire in the other areas (not video games). The younger I started a child homeschooling, the better they have done. Your child is starting earlier than my oldest two. I gave us the tools, we explore things, we listen to history on tape basically in the car, etc. I do not allow cartoon network and such during the day..just educational shows. They don't have to watch TV, but if they are going to during the day, it must be of some value. When I first started homeschooling, I purchased a complete boxed curriculum. I had textbooks for everything and worksheets and so on. Then I had another baby and then my little ones got older and so on..and I had less and less time to "twach at them." I let loose the ball and chain of a completely filled up curriculum. I recall a teacher in the 6th grade telling me that kids in America were lucky because we had our education handed to us on a silver platter. BUT, gifted children, left to their own devices, and removing the pressure to be "cool" and just like everyone else, seem to really go far. My daughter hated to read when in public school and when following a curriculum. Now that she reads things she picks and on her own, she picks things like the Hobbit. She also is only in Algebra 1 (she is 10 yrs old) but she LOVES looking forward to college level calculus books and Physics books and she actually seems to understand them. She isn't doing this because I have taught her this, she is doing this because she has the time to get curious and pursue her interests. Considering I am very much so type A, I am shocked to find myself able to step back and let things go like this. But it really has turned out very well.
Hi Summer70,

It's wonderful to hear of your sucesses with your children's education.

I love how you state:
It doesn't matter if your child tests at gifted or not, all children benefit from the same type of education..which is learn at your own pace type education.

I wish there was a way for my child to get that at a bricks-and-mortar school.

I've heard a lot of definitions of giftedness over the years, and mostly they all have something important to add, but my personal favorite is: A child that has the capasity to learn material that is one or more years advanced of the chronological age, in one or more academic areas, with whatever nescessary accomidations in place. Short form: Gifted is as gifted does. I don't care what the numbers say, so kids have a developmental path that is quite different from the standard expected one.

I also think that loving teachers who deeply connect with their students have a wonderful role to play in the lives of children. Sometimes these teachers are found inside school buildings and sometimes they are family members. I also wish that schools were flexible enough so that when a "twice exceptional child" finds a teacher who "really gets him," that the child could stay with that teacher for more than one year.

Love and More Love,
Trinity
I just heard about an online curricula that may be of interest:
Compass Learning through www.time4learning.com

Here are some things I've overhear about it -
they split it up into "upper school" and "lower school" - but if you need access to both, they have done it before.

Parents choose the level and get access to material one grade above and one grade below.

They have a risk free trial. 2 weeks.

If you like it you may save money by paying for a
full-year of access for $150.

It has what appears to be an extensive math curriculum up through algebra. They also partner with eIMACS for two of their courses.

For the $20 it covers language arts, math, science and social
studies.

Not sure if your are looking for a full curriculum, but when I read about this, I though of you.

Best Wishes,
Trinity
In case you are still trying to work things out: you might consider looking into this for next year-
Some school districts will allow students to take select classes and homeschool for the rest. I am lucky to live in a district that has allowed my kids to take select classes that are well beyond the standard grade level for the age. (It helps to live in a rural district that sorely needs enrollment.)
My youngest takes music and PE at school. The high school and jr. high have supplied math and science classes.
Wow Rabbit -
That sounds lovely!
Trinity
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ready to homeschool - any advice would be helpful - 04/15/07 05:40 AM
I unschool my DS4. If I were you I would use the time you have in the summer to give it a shot. No loss. I'm a member of this board http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homeschoolingmensans/ and they have all kinds of resources. I have learned that my son knows a LOT more then I ever realized! I'm also amazed how easy it is to homeschool. The biggest problem I have is that I was looking forward to going back to "work", getting out of the house, and earning some additional money for our family.

We have fun and I let his thirst for knowledge guide us. We are currently; growing vegetables and flowers in the dining room, rock candy on the kitchen counter, and making a solar system (styrofoam balls) to put in his bedroom. We watch "The Magic School Bus", "Curious George", "Zaboomafoo" and "Big, Big World" and get ideas. We then get books at the library, plan a field trip, etc. on the subject. I realize that as he gets older we may have to establish some guidelines. Now we just use the world around us.

Take a deep breath! If I can do it I know you can too!!
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_08/b3972108.htm

Even I am considering after reading this :-)
Ania
Thanks for the link Ania. Yeah, that's a very tempting article about homeschooling middle and high school aged kids. Who knows?
If you are in Nevada your child can attend the online K12 academy for free. We are looking into it for my own children. They are even having a free expo June 21 at the Lied Children's museum.

I was concerned about how much time my child would be spending on the computer but it would be actually less than he spends at school where he can get onto as soon as he is done with his assignments!

Here is their website www.k12.com/nvva

I think they have the program for other states including California.

LOL Area51 Mom!

Must keep our humor!

I know a family in Ohio who uses K12, and the state pays. I hear that it is developing a version for "gifted." Of course thats a word that means something different depending on who is using it.

Smiles and Giggles,
Trinity
K12 is also a curriclum that Utah will pay for. However, if you choose curriculum the state pays for , you have to do all the state required testing, which is a total absurd for a gifted child.
We were able to dual-enroll DS with the K12 and his regular public school. He was able to complete 5 years of math (through pre-Algebra B) in 2 years using their self-paced program during his classes math time. And since the K12 was through a public charter school, we didn't pay a dime; we had to get our principal sign off saying that they were willing to let him dual-enroll (which means less money for them). I'm not sure that every k12 program or bricks-and-mortar school are open to dual-enrolling, but this solution certainly saved our sanity (we could not cope with another year of incremental learning with Saxon!)
Wow Acs, That's wonderful! Did DS use the K12 for other subjects? Imagine that, a school offering two alternative Math programs to better meet children's needs! Wonderful.
Trinity
We just used it for math. DS had asked his 3rd grade teacher to let him move ahead in math (notice he does most of his advocacy work himself!) and she gave him and a group of higher math kids a chance to work ahead in the 4th grade book, but everyone saw this was not enough. His 3rd grade teacher worked with the GT teacher to come up with a plan that would work better in 4th and it was the GT teacher's idea to look into dual-enrollment. At that point, the virtual academy was short of students and was happy to have us and the teachers in his bricks and mortar school felt unable to meet his needs (and perhaps were worried that we would take DS out)so everyone was very supportive. The virtual academy is now much busier and there is a waiting list to dual-enroll, so we were probably pretty lucky to be able to do this. I am told that they lose money with dual-enrolled students.

I should also mention that I did not expect the teachers at the bricks and mortar school to do anything with his math except allow him computer access. I did all the lesson assigning, grading, and work with the virtual academy teacher. I would help him when he got stuck or confused, but, really, that was pretty rare.

What I loved was that I have a transcript saying he as completed pre-algebra B from an accredited public school. It made it easy to get him into Algebra in 6th grade (with the honors 8th graders) next year. My brothers and I were all allowed to work ahead with some of our teachers, but that rarely carried over into true acceleration the next year because there was no firm documentation.
acs,
I'm glad it worked well for you.

You make an excellent point about "informal working ahead" v. "true, documented acceleration."

My younger bothers were "sent up a grade" in math from 3rd to 4th, then from 4th to 5th, then 5th to 6th. What did they do in 6th when they were in the oldest group in the building? From what they remember, they did 6th grade math again.

Now it is true that an 11 year old tends to be more mature, and better equipt to handle poor fit classroom than an 8 year old, so I think they probably benifited somewhat, compared to not being allowed to work ahead at all, but I can't imagine why there isn't a general protest to children being treated like this.

Can you imagine the response if a classroom of 6th graders had to repeat 5th grade math because there wasn't any availible 6th grade books? Wouldn't people be upset?

So, I too, am glad that your son is "credentialed."

Smiles,
Trinity
acs, what virtal academy are you talking about?
Idaho has a charter school virtual academy that uses the K12 curriculum. I think you can just go to www.k12.com to find out if your state has a similar program.
I just found this link
http://www.homeschooldiner.com/index.html
and it looks like a good resource for gifted homeschooling.
Greetings! I'm a newbie here in a remarkably similar situation to the original poster, with one big difference: we have an unsupportive teacher whose whole teaching philosophy for gifted kids seems to be "boredom is not an excuse for incomplete work and bad behavior." My gentle attempts to advocate for my son have been met with extreme defensiveness and a generally nasty attitude. With no idea what else to do and no desire to go to war with our child's teacher (!!!), we're pulling our gifted 1st grader out of school at the end of this week for homeschooling.

We're not in a position to accept most of the suggestions listed here--virtual academies, part-time homeschooling/part-time public school, etc. I will be the teacher and I need to plan his lessons.

So my question is this: does anyone have any curriculum suggestions that will offer us both some measure of structure as well as the flexibility for him to go through the material significantly faster than the average child? I'm particularly interested in math curriculum, though I'll welcome any and all suggestions I can get, regardless of subject matter.

Thanks! I've enjoyed reading the posts here, and I look forward to the responses you all will provide! Can't wait!
Hi Kriston-

How old is your child, and what level math are you looking for? I'd love to help, but I need a little more detail.

take care-

Lorel
Sorry, Lorel!

He's 6. We didn't grade skip him because a) we didn't realize until this week just exactly how bright he is, and b) he's already young for his grade. (And a lot of people hold their kids back around here to make them bigger for sports...don't get me started!)

He reads about 3 grades above level, but his math achievement is only barely 1 grade above 1st grade now. However, I think that's just because I'm such a verbal person. His testing (and my experience with how his mind works) indicate that he has the ability, but I know I haven't challenged him to use his math skills in the way he has to use his verbal ones around me, just as a matter of course. I suspect that once he gets regular exposure and a responsive environment, he's going to fly through any curriculum I put in front of him.

Thanks so much for your help!
Kriston-

Singapore math is very popular with gifted kids. This is the program used in the public schools in Singapore, and kids from Singapore tend to exceptionally well in international math competitions. It's very inexpensive but quite thorough. Take a look at www.singaporemath.com and see what you think. There are sample pages to be viewed, and you can print out a placement test to gauge the correct level to begin. Keep in mind that SM tends to be 6 months to a year ahead of most American programs, so a child doing Saxon grade 3 might only place into Singapore grade 2.

Don't bother with the Earlybird series. These are labeled for kindergarten, but they are VERY basic. Head right into the real Singapore series. You probably don't need a teacher manual for the primary gardes, but you should get both a workbook and a "textbook" for each level.

If Singapore doesn't seem a good fit, you can try Miquon, another popular program, or perhaps consider online math with EPGY or Aleks. But I think you get the most bang for your buck with Singapore.

I'd also recommend mathy prose for your verbal oriented son. See my articles here:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art33626.asp

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art28465.asp

I hope you'll have a blast homeschooling your little guy!
Lorel, this is JUST EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks for the help. I'm off to the 'Net to check out your recommendations and hopefully commit to a curriculum...

:-)
I have 2 elementary kids, bright and gifted. Our school curriculum moves slowly so they are not challenged most of the time and they don't get not much homework either. I don't homeschool, I researched and setup some year round study programs in home to keep them on top. Including series of books, online weekly exercise and some workbooks we identified. Since you are homeschooling, I recommend this site

www.beestar.org.

My friend who homeschool her kids gave me this link. It offers tests of all subjects weekly, math, english/reading, gifted, science and social. Math is free, other subjects are $30 each. Best of all for homeschool kids, it gives your standing among others on the same grade/subjects every week and semester, so you know where you are...

The core knowledge series, "What your xth grader need to know' is our favorite set of books.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Second-Grader-Needs/dp/038531843X

Thanks! I don't know beestar, so I'll check it out. But I already got three of the "xth Grader" books, just to cover my son's bases. He's moving through the Singapore Math so fast, we may need to go up another grade or two by the end of the year! I'm SOOO glad we took him out of public school! He's learning, he has much more time for friendships, and he's blossoming!

BTW, I'm loving "Creative Home Schooling for Gifted Children: A Resource Guide" by Lisa Rivero, in case anyone else is reading this for help.

Most books I've read have dealt either with home schooling or with gifted education. This is the only resource I've found that tackles the combination. It's so good for helping a home schooler to consider the specific needs of teaching a gifted child, re: not necessarily working lockstep with a packaged curriculum if that's not how the child works, considering learning styles, practical strategies for dealing with the "fire hose" effect of a gifted child's passion for certain topics, etc. Very useful!

Thanks!
Kriston-

The Rivero book is very helpful for those just starting out. I think she does a great job of explaining the different methods without leaning too heavily toward one or the other.

I just spoke on gifted homeschooling this past weekend. The primary concern seemed to be how to connect with true peers. Have you had any success meeting other bright kiddos yet?
What did you say about gifted home schooling in your talk? Not to ask you to reduce an hour's worth of carefully crafted prose to a few nuggets, but if you have anything I could use, I'd be grateful! Thanks! smile

We're fortunate to be very close to an urban area with a school system that's really big and really lousy. Bad for them, but good for us, because there's a LOT of home schoolers around!

We joined a highly active homeschoolers' group. They do more in a week than we could do in a month! And though it's not a group designed for gifted kids, a lot of them are gifted just by the nature of the bad school/gifted kid combo. Plus he can spend time with kids who are a couple years older than he is, and that seems to help, too. I'm going with the theory that gifted kids tend to do best with a variety of activity-specific friends, regardless of age.

He's got two old and dear friends--B: a same-age buddy next-door who's in half-day kindergarten with whom he plays Hot Wheels and Transformers,

and A: an older (gifted & home schooled) buddy with whom he plays sword fighting and haunted house and Legos,

...plus he's got a handful of new friends that he sees in various groups (and with whom I hope to develop playdate friendships as well) who are within a couple of years of his age. He played football and got on the swings at the playground once, and he just generally ran amuck (in a good way) with another boy in an indoor gym after an art class.

Ironically, considering how worried everyone gets about the socialization of home schooled kids, I'm certain that DS is getting WAY more good-quality socializing now than he did in public school. He wanted to arrange a playdate with only one child at his old school. The message I got: he wasn't clicking there socially.

Of old friends B and A: excepting summers, in the past year he saw the first pretty much only on the weekends and the second almost never! Now he sees B daily (sometimes twice a day!) and A at least once a week. Make new friends, but keep the old; One is silver and the other gold, right? From what I can see, he's doing much better at both right now than he was a month ago!

The social question is always the one people ask. But I think that as long as you make an effort to put your child in social situations, they'll find peers. And from what I've seen, home schooling circles tend to be much richer in gifted kids than the regular school system, making it easier to find peers. That's anecdotal, of course, but it's the truth for my experience.

Schools are all-too-often about sitting down and shutting up. Not exactly conducive to making friendships. (The fact that he was acting out and being punished by missing recess wasn't helping...) And since highly gifted kids tend to be isolated even in a crowd, having a few truly good friends and regularly getting opportunities to meet new people seems like just about the best strategy possible!

My bigger worry is that he only seems to ever see boys. Where are all the gifted girls? There's one in his art class, but that's it. I don't think most of the girls get home schooled...No girls in his life? THAT'S the thing that worries me!

But, then again, he never had anything to do with girls at school if he didn't have to anyway. LOL!

Thanks, Lorel!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum