We love homeschooling. We've been doing it for almost five years and our son always has the option of going back, but never wants to. I am a retired teacher and none of the teachers I worked with had any training with gifted children--not required.

We use many websites (doing AP courses right now and others), software and books. prufrock is a good place to look for materials and there are many others. Every year will be an adventure. I have a long list of websites that we use, have used or may use. So many of them are interactive, visual and often have auditory means. We even enjoy dictionary.com for new words and a thesaurus!

Check your colleges. Lots of events to see there! You may be surprised that learning takes place everywhere. When you go to a pond and catch, examine and release frogs--that's biology. When you visit a nearby college, they will have "cool" things to see -- a"Butterfly Garden" and a "Bug House"-- entomology; a planetarium--astronomy. Once you get started, learning will just appear. Gifted children given the chance are just exploding with the desire to learn and investigate. Enjoy! They may wear you out, but as long as they are inspired and stimulated, a textbook for every subject isn't always needed--lists and outlines of what needs to be covered are online if wanted.

We love it, just adapt as we go and learn to change as he matures (he needs to, too!).

Karen