If testing early is desperately needed, request the SB-5 or stick with the WPPSI. Despite "ceiling issues", the child can still get those same "ceiling scores" (145+).

Dottie (or others in the know): I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but since it's on topic for the thread now I might as well ask. What are the relevant considerations in choosing between the WPPSI and the SBV for, say, a 4:6 year old?

Off the top of my head I'd have guessed that there are at least two kinds of issues: how the child scores and what the scores reveal.

As for the first, as you say, although there are "ceiling issues" for the WPPSI, the child can still get "ceiling scores". But do the ceiling issues with the WPPSI make it harder to get ceiling scores (because they require something closer to perfection)? I don't mean this as an instrumental issue - the question isn't just which test will give a higher score. But if the high score is measured simply by level of perfection, then presumably it's measuring the wrong thing.

As for the second, I suppose a mathy kid (like our DS) doesn't really get tested much in his paradigm areas on the WPPSI, but might get more exposure there for the SBV. So a score on the SBV might better reveal his talent than the WPPSI. Or do I misunderstand what goes into the tests?

Any help from the wiser among you appreciated. One of the schools we're looking into seems to require the WPPSI, but I think they might be persuaded to accept the SBV if we could make a good argument for it. I'm not sure whether it's worth the work, though.

BB

Last edited by BaseballDad; 01/07/09 06:58 AM. Reason: Characterization of WPPSI ceiling issue was misleading.