[teacher name here],

I hope you're enjoying the holidays, and sorry to bother you with school-related things, but I felt that it was a now-or-never kind of thing.

As you probably already know, I attempted a gradeskip early summer in math. To make things brief, I didn't do too well on the test and was denied a gradeskip. I approached the math chair again through my guidance counselor early second quarter asking if he could reconsider because of my 99 average in math, 100 on the first quarter exam, and just the fact that I finished my work way ahead of my peers and was, frankly, bored. He refused again. Apparently the decision is based solely on the seventh grade final examination I took during the summer. He also said that it was too late in the year for a skip.

Is skipping a math grade really about your knowledge or your ability? As far as I know, you don't skip a grade because you know everything that your teacher is going to teach you, you skip a grade because you learn faster than your classmates and aren't sufficiently challenged by the curriculum, which is the dilemma here.

I'm planning to try one more time. I have a full score on the midterm under my belt, and I'm pretty sure that I have a 99 average so far this quarter, but this isn't the real reason why I think he should reconsider. I took the SAT Reasoning Test earlier this December, and recieved my scores a week ago. Screenshot link.

CR: 710
Math: 670
Writing: 630

Of course, only math matters here. The reason I've emailed you is because I want to know whether you think the SAT matters to the math chair. Since it's generally taken by college-bound seniors, a seventh grader taking the SAT is somewhat unusual and you probably don't have a lot of data from kids my age to compare these scores to. So that's why I'm not going directly to the math chair.

Thanks for taking the time to read this email, and thanks in advance for your reply. ^^

Carolina

Meh. Sounds like I'm bragging about my scores. Better not include all that data about the average college-bound senior's scores, or it'll be even worse. :x

Last edited by Lina; 12/30/08 09:36 AM. Reason: removed the weird part. o_o;