Yes, but I don't think the hyperfocus version of ADD works with my son either, at least not in any negative sense. He just doesn't *like* to shift focus...and he *is* just 7! I mean, as RJH said, at that age they usually don't want to do what they don't want to do, you know? DS7 can actually multitask pretty effectively. He just prefers not to, and when he does, he has to do it at his speed.

Honestly, no one has ever even hinted at ADD for my son. Never! (And isn't that unusual for a HG+ boy in a bad school fit with behavior problems cropping up? I mean, isn't that what they always go for?) It's just not something I see at all, in any form. Can't speak for RJH, of course. Maybe her case is different? But I just see that my son processes things slower than his HG+ depth--but normally for his age!--as his scores indicate (and as I saw before he was tested). Not with difficulty, not without focus or with trouble controlling his focus...just slowly.

Of course, before I had his scores, I called him a dawdler and got mad at him. blush Now I'm a great deal more understanding.

But ADD? No. Not something I see.

And frankly, even if I did see it as hyperfocus ADD, I'd probably be doing exactly what I'm doing anyway. Adjusting. He certainly doesn't need medication or anything else. He's doing fine.

And BTW, I love to get hyperfocused. I call it "flow" and use it well when I'm writing or reading something intense. Not a bad thing at all! wink

As for a recorder, I don't have anything in particular I'd recommend. Something cheap, easy to use and portable, but tough enough to withstand a kid being a kid. I'd probably just hit Radio Shack and see what's there, or maybe a department store for a really young child to get one of those Playskool or Fisher Price ones specially made for kids to bang on.

Kriston