Originally Posted by inky
The "More" Child Blog has the response from the Board of Education about the article:

http://themorechild.wordpress.com/2008/12/16/board-of-education-issues-statement-in-response-to-washington-post-story-%e2%80%98montgomery-erasing-gifted-label%e2%80%99/

It is true that among the options that will be considered is eliminating labeling in favor of a services-based model. In this model, students are still screened for their readiness for advanced work and parents are provided the recommendations from the screening so that they are fully informed of their children’s readiness to excel at a higher level. Students are then provided advanced work based on the results of the screening process, consultation with parents, and the ongoing assessment of students’ needs.

If it's about eliminating labeling in favor of a services-based model, are they going to experiment with getting rid of the special needs label too? I doubt it and there would probably be a huge outcry (and rightly so) if that happened. I worry that this is a step towards eliminating and/or reducing what are already limited services for gifted.

My thoughts exactly!

Labels are generally necessary in a bureacracy to get services. Do I love them? No. But they exist for a reason. Eliminate labels and you usually lose services.

I am suspicious and if I were in this school system, I would be making some noise about it.

Kriston