It is true that among the options that will be considered is eliminating labeling in favor of a services-based model. In this model, students are still screened for their readiness for advanced work and parents are provided the recommendations from the screening so that they are fully informed of their children�s readiness to excel at a higher level. Students are then provided advanced work based on the results of the screening process, consultation with parents, and the ongoing assessment of students� needs.

This sounds good, in theory, and is exactly how I would run all schools if I were 'in charge' of this sort of thing. I would also provide several different 'pace options' for each subject in each level.

The next step would be to try to 'uncouple' various subjects, so that a kid who is ready for Algebra, but not developmentally ready to memorize their times tables can spend some time in Algebra 1 and some time in a 'memorization skills' class that focuses on math facts. Same with Reading/writing/handwritting and Spelling. That way everyone could be challenged on all fronts, and not only would the gifted lable wither away, but so would most of the 2E lables, except for needed accomidations.

Then I would make the whole process totally opaque, so that an interested parent could have their child do an online learning session that confirms that the child is well placed. A version of the tests that the teachers use to assess the child's level would be availible online.

Yum, Yum, Yum

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com