The "grouping" term came from a school policy pamphlet that I picked up. In it it states "Research shows most children learn best in mixed groups. These are sometimes called 'inclusive classrooms'. They include children with varying abilities and disabilities. Some children may still leave the classroom for special instruction for part of the day." There is a silver lining, though, as the same pamphlet does state "There are exceptions. The very gifted and the very disabled, usually do require special grouping."
Her teacher informed me that she divides her class into groups based on ability and my DD5 is in the top group. Her very next sentence (which I neglected to say in my last post) however, was that she then divides the top group and puts one of those students into each of the "lower" ability groups in order for that group to see that it can be learned. confused I immediately asked her if this is the time period in which my DD5 starts acting up and she literally jumped in her chair as though I had just shot her! Her eyes got big and her jaw dropped! I just smiled and said "see, that's the problem."
Funny story: the teacher gave me a word list and said that her advise is to work with my child on these words. Once she learns them she can begin to take books home. The teacher said maybe this would keep her mind busy and she won't be so bored. So I did...and within 5 minutes she could spell the words to me from the other side of the house while watching TV and, of course, could also read them off the page. Take that teacher, great idea you had, now what? laugh
With regards to the "rage". I myself have witnessed this. However, I do not believe it is being interpreted correctly. I believe it is impatience and frustration with the other kids. If you listen to what she says when she "lashes out" it is usually something like "How many times have I said?" or "Leave me alone I can do it myself" or "I've asked you to stop that 3 times." I do agree that her behavior needs to be redirected. On the other hand, I know/have observed that it only happens around her same-age peers. If she is playing with older kids or adults, she does not behave this way. Also, the other kids provoke and pick on her by stealing her gloves or crayons and hiding them. They also bombard her with questions like "why do you do this...why do you do that?"
anyway, just wanted to answer some of the question that were asked. Thanks for the advise so far. I think I am going to try to get her tested. My husband also had the idea to homeschool her throughout the summer so, in his words, the school will have no option but to grade skip.