Originally Posted by Trinity
But KaT,
What makes your story so unusual are these points:
a) Although he was "in trouble" all the time, the teacher didn't seem to blame him, or think that "there was something wrong with him." She didn't attempt to gang up with other school officials to convinse you and yDH that there was something wrong with him.

Hmm....you're right, come to think of it, I never really was called in for a Parent-Teacher conference to discuss his supposedly "behavior problems".

b) Although your son was "in trouble" all the time, he didn't internalize that there was "something wrong with him."

Right - he KNEW he would get a sit down with me to talk about his behavior and what he could have done/could do to improve it, but that was pretty much the extent of it.

c) He enjoyed the social interaction, not all PGlets will, that depends on personality. He didn't come to feel like there was something wrong with him (or them) becuase they were unable to do the activities he enjoyed in play. Some PGlets take it very hard that no one understands the rule of their imaginary games, or are able to play games, such as Yu-gi-oh, that involve reading.

Yes, I've noticed this frustration in which was why I always took him to the Yu-gi-oh throwdowns where he could play with other kids that share his interest, and it surprised me the first time I went to those events. The "kids" there didn't really seem like kids anymore, there were mostly teens and pre-teens - really big kids that took the Yu-gi-oh stuff really seriously which thrilled my son to no end because the "bigger kids" actually played with him. As far as the imaginary games are concerned, I noticed him playing these more with the younger kids whom I guess he can basically boss around.

d) His sensory OverExcitabilities didn't make Circle Time a torture for him.

Torture? I don't think so...but it really did bore him. And it still bored him come 1st grade where I guess they changed the name of "Circle Time" to "Calendar Time". These were the times he mostly got the yellows.

e) He didn't resent the time he spend "not learning anything new." My guess is that he was in a half day program, and had time to himself for learning or your attention the rest of the day. Yes? If so, good for you! My son went from daycare to half day program to daycare, 2 or 3 days a week, and really resented the time lost from pursuing intellectual stimulation. Like you, I had blocked from my awareness just how different he was from other kids, and what his actual needs were. I told myself that his friends were of course shy in front of me, but probably had these same soul-searching conversations during quiet times with their Moms at home.

Yes, he was in a half-day Kinder program, so he still all had time afterwards to pursue learning on his own or with me. And when time came for 1st grade where it was whole day, by then, he had started going out of the class for 3rd grade reading, and two blocks of GATE classes - which, I suppose, made it better for him then if he were to sit the whole day with his fellow 1st graders going over things he already knew.

f)Your son was relaxed that he could read while the other kids were learning. Your son was able to tolerated the "full class participation required" time spent on pre-reading activities, at least to some degree. Your teacher was comfortable with your son's reading ability and didn't discourage or shame him. I've heard many stories about kids suddenly "forgetting how to read" in these settings.

Yes, I made sure he checked first with his teacher before he took out his own books to read, and she had no problem with it.

g) Your teacher checked to see what his abilities were, got that it made a difference, and took action! This is pretty rare.

h) Your district has a program to refer him to - unfortunatly also rare.

Right. smile I'm grateful for this.

I think you would agree that if the teacher has been harsh about your son's lack of conformity, if the school hadn't offered acceleration or a gifted program to accomidate his needs, and there was nothing to look forward to be "he needs to learn to control his behavior and get along with all his age-mates" then your Kindy experience might have looked like the begining of a long spell of pain, yes?

Yes, absolutely!!! As parents, we naturally are always in constant awe and amazement over what our kids can do - and some PG parents like me do take our time to realize that what our kids can do is more than the usual cause for all the hoopla and that they have special needs when it comes to learning. I sometimes think about if I could've done any better for my son had I been more aware and taken action for him at an earlier stage, like when he was a baby or a toddler -- but I too worry about his ego somewhat lol. If I had been more aware earlier, then so would he, and he sometimes has a habit of telling everyone that he's a genius, and I remember there was a period where I had to explain to him what humility was about and that being "gifted" doesn't mean he's better than anyone else, it just means he learns in a different way. Nowadays, when people ask him what grade he's in, he always answers "3rd grade, I skipped 2nd", and I'd tell him he can always just say 3rd grade, but he replies with "but I want to tell them that".

KaT - I'm so glad that things didn't go that way for you. If gives me hope that once teachers are educated to the needs and expressions of gifted kids, that things will improve broadly.

Thanks, Trinity - and yes, everyone's stories here are remarkable and helps me to better understand what's out there for us.

Love and More Love,
Trinity