I'm starting to feel stressed about my son starting Kindergarten in two weeks. He is scheduled for his Kindergarten assessment on Monday. I am hoping the teacher who assesses him will see that he needs differentiated instruction. I'm not sure that will happen though, because I have heard that the assessment involves things like asking the child to spell his name and what his address is. Will the teacher even realize that he can read and do arithmetic already? I am just waiting to see what she says before I bring it up...

I don't want to be "in your face" about him being gifted. I haven't shared his test scores with them and I'm not sure I will because I have a feeling they won't believe them anyway. Their "policy" is not to accept any outside testing.

I am considering whether it would be beneficial for my son to skip first grade next year. My plan is to teach him first grade stuff this year to get him ready. But there is the handwriting issue...

Also, the kids are tested with CogAT for the GATE program at the end of 3rd grade. If he skips first grade, will that put him at a disadvantage for that test?

Thanks for letting me vent my ansgt smile

Cathy