Our after-schooling was very mellow and never looked like formal academics. We did enforce a second language (because the school waits until HS to teach a second language and I couldn't stand watching the language learning window close) and a musical instrument (fine motor skill, music, and learning something that was hard for him-perseverence).

The rest was done as bedtime stories (Penrose the Mathematical Cat was a favorite at that age). Bedtime stories over the last 6 years have included natural history books, philosophy, religion, geology and history of whereever we will be going on vacation, biographies (Albert Schweitzer was a great favorite), books on codes, as well as good science fiction, fantasy, and books from my childhood. Then there is a lot of discussion about these things and looking for similar patterns in our lives.

His stardardized test score go up (way up) every year even in subjects that he has never been formally taught. That's the thing with our kids--they get information by osmosis. We can help them discover ideas, we can encourage and expose, but I have not found that I needed to teach much beyond answering his questions. The most important thing we can do is to show them our own curiosity and then support them as they follow their own.

Is that afterschooling-unschooling?