KaT -
How many wpm is your son typing? It's great that he has a laptop as a back up, so now I suggest that you make sure he can use it as a tool when the time comes that he is shown to need it.

Personally, I would never be able to give such copious, detailed, thoughtful advice if I had to handwrite every word. As driven as I am to "share" I wouldn't bother if I had to pick up a pen every time - it just wouldn't happen.

I waw away on vacation, and reading my YSP emails on my cell phone. I got the strong urge to respond to one of the emails, and had to use the number pad on the phone. Believe me - it affected my response, in length, level of detail, and level of irritation that showed through in my writing tone. "Wow," I though to myself, "No wonder my 7 year old gives one word answers on his worksheets even though the teacher keeps critisizing him for not repeating back the question stem, and writing full detailed sentences."

You might want to let your son type his homework, at least. I get the idea of "just like everyone else" and I see it's appeal, but "hello? - is he just like everyone else? No." So how much of a pain in his neck do you want to be?

BTW - did you ever try Handwriting without tears? How did that go? I think that insisting on Handwriting practice is a good thing, I just don't think it's fair to ask him to use it as a tool at this point. Later when he is more mature, and has more of a desire to fit in, there will be time enough for handwriting. Actually this is a terrific question to post on the YSP pgclassroom list. Go sign up, post and intro, and ask away - a lot of people will disagree with me, and that's good.

Love and More Love,
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com