It's possible, and we've mentioned that both to the school and to his testing psychologist. Definitely, mom is more tired and dad more frazzled. But on the whole he seems much better off than he was the first time he got a little brother, 3 years ago, and we're finding the transition a lot easier, too. I wish there were a way to take out the new baby layer of the experience to see how much that intensified the school problem! But these are issues he's been having since last fall, that we've been trying to handle in a calm, low-level, everything's going to work out, of course we believe you, oh school people way, and we've only seen the problems intensify, as we've tried to tell the school, it's getting worse, it's getting worse.

We've worked hard to keep ds6's life interesting and on an even keel despite the baby - let him do soccer, started cub scouts, run around to weekend things with him, scheduled play dates trying to make him feel more comfortable in school. I'm more worried about ds3, who's caught between the baby and all the focus on ds6. Ds6 kind of benignly overlooks the baby, but ds3 adores him and also, I assume, is overwhelmed by him.

this isn't the first time I've been convinced the child-rearing requires at least three adults. I don't know how single parents do it, at all!