Yes, I think it's a wise distinction kcab is making.

I don't think one can become "un-GT," or for that matter, can become more GT. That's ability, and it's what you come with. Luck of the draw at birth.

But nurturing innate ability can make for higher achievement, better use of that talent, sharper skills. Ignoring or abusing ability can dull it, retard its development, and make it effectively get "lost." I like the image of the naturally fast sprinter who doesn't train. Eventually, someone similarly GT--or someone less innately GT, but who works hard to hone the skill--will outrun him. Soon, he doesn't seem all that GT a runner at all.

Both the initial, inherent GTness *and* a real challenge to those abilities are required for a GT athlete or a GT child to achieve as they are capable of achieving.

(And that's not even touching the tendency of some GT kids to mask their talents on purpose in order to fit in better. That's a form of "losing it" too, only it's purposeful on the part of the child. frown )

I'll just quote ebeth to end this message, because I really love this statement:

Originally Posted by ebeth
It is the primary job of education to find that spark in all children. The heights to which that spark takes them is based on their giftedness.

You go, girl! smile

Kriston