Originally Posted by kcab
Yeah, I can be one of those difficult-to-get-along with people, though I think it's more due to personality in my case. I'm just not willing to say that it is a requirement that all highly intelligent people also be irascible, or scary (I'm more in the irascible camp, personally, not very scary at all.)

I guess - there is a type of gifted which is inspiring, really good at inspiring others to work hard and give their best effort. That person may end up spending more of their life leading others than tinkering themselves, even if they are really good tinkerers.

I'm just voting for a wider view here, that's all. Some HG+ folks may fit a particular stereotype, but not all will.

Charisma is a funny thing to me.

Charisma is that undefined quality that makes people want to do things for you. Its also called star quality. It opens doors. Literally. Some people keep it after their looks fade. Some people's Charisma is so good it burns through predjudice or even convictions - just watch Hillary or Palin work a room. My wife has this as well and she works it and why she made President in her early 30s.

Speaking solely for myself - I know that there are two leadership roles I can assume well- and the rest do not work for me. The first, is the military/ranching role or emergency situations where clear instructions, hard labor and a brave face work. The second is the intellectual leadership and force of will when something has to be done that is intellectually complex with lots of smart people involved - such as getting something big and complicated to work. I am not good at other roles because I cannot stand lack of perfection or vague relationships or interactions based upon non-concrete things.

I also do not respond like those who respond to Charisma such as those who hang around stars, sports players, politicians, etc. Social proof means nothing to me and I am offended by people trying to charm me.

Thinking specifically about GT, kids should learn about their leadership styles. Everyone has a leadership role to play in their lives. Leadership can be studied like any other topic and its quality can be discerned like any other personality trait or role. Kids can learn where they would work best and worse as leaders and then try not to force their squareness into a round hole. They can also learn about leadership and management in some easy ways ( large scout troop) or the hard way ( manage a retail store ) while they are still at home.