Originally Posted by BeckyC
My daughter just turned 6 last month and is in first grade. She's an avid reader, loves all kinds of books, fiction & non-fiction. She'll read any book you put in front of her - from a baby board book to an encyclopedia. She also loves science experiments, piano lessons and "projects." She always has some project going on. Her memory and ability to pick up facts, new vocabulary is also surprising. She enjoys school and says it's fun.

This sounds a lot like my DS4 (nearly 5) who's just started school. He's also being sent home with things to read which are very easy for him to read - but he does enjoy reading them, and there are usually things in the story to talk about that lead on to interesting conversations and often to looking things up. With reading, for now, I'm taking the view that this isn't a problem, and the argument might apply to your DD too. His reading is so far advanced that he simply doesn't need help there: he can read anything he really wants to already, and he's improving the mechanics of reading just by doing that. He's obviously going to reach true adult reading competence without anyone doing anything. And after all *I* don't choose reading by whether it's at my reading level, I read things I find interesting. So I'm happy to see interest as the most important thing.

I'd be more worried about the maths, because there it's less easy (still possible sometimes, but less easy!) to find interest and development in doing things which are mechanically easy. Maybe that's the place to push for differentiation, if you don't want to do a gradeskip?

The other thing that gives me comfort for my DS is that he is doing huge amounts of mathematical and scientific things at home, and it sounds as though your DD does too. There I think our main task is to "just say no" to homework that gets in the way of more valuable learning: e.g. I will not stop him drawing nets of solid shapes to cut out and build so that he can do more of the same stuff he's been doing in school! So he is still developing in those areas. Given that and the fact that he loves school, I think we're OK for now, though I am watching carefully for any sign that he might be getting bored.

As I said on another thread, at least for young children I think there's a lot to be said for the view that *one* good challenge at school at any one time can be enough to make it OK, provided they're happy and the other areas are getting addressed at home. For my DS it's writing at present; for your DD it maybe has been her emotions, and maybe at your next meeting you need to discuss how the school can make sure she still has a major challenge there even once the basic management of her behaviour is not so hard for her?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail