Each situation is so different, you just don't know. As I have said several times (you can read my other posts), we have had a great experience in a mediocre (based on test-scores, class size etc) public school with very limited GT options. We have hand-picked each teacher every year and have chosen flexible, energetic teachers who see each child as a snowflake (absolutely unique and should be taught that way). In fifth grade his teacher has him on pre-algebra B and is doing late HS/college reading assignments, while the other kids do 5th grade curriculum. She gives me no trouble if I "need" to take him out of school for family travel or fiddle contests or whatever--she doesn't make him make up work etc. He is very happy there, particpates in student council, sports, and has lots of friends from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of abilities. The school has recently suggested skipping him up to 7th and DS flatly refused--I like my class and I really want to stay with them. He'll be taking 8th grade honors math next year and we are still working on the details of the other stuff, but I am very optimistic.

I have a friend with a child in a large school district with a special gifted track. Those kids get assigned to the gifted classroom each year at their school. Initially I was very jealous of their situation. But there is just one classroom and just one GT teacher for each grade. My friend has been frustrated because sometimes that teacher isn't very good, but she has to accept that teacher or drop out of the GT program. They have the kids doing work a grade or two above level and do more exploration, but, honestly, I do not think that the kids have nearly the freedom and flexibility that we have experienced in my son's school. I suspect that if my son were in that program he would not be able to work as far ahead as is able to now.

As you can see, there are a lot of variables that you don't have much control over. Teachers who are not great with gifted kids can be found anywhere, even in gifted programs. So a program that looks good on paper is still only as good as its teachers. I probably would not choose a school or teacher until I had had a chance to really visit it and meet the teachers.

I find that I frequently think back to the advice my mother gave me when I asked her a parenting question. She said cheerfully, "Well, I've tried it several ways, and I have found that no matter what you do it is usually wrong." Somehow, this has really helped me let go of trying to get everything right. We just do the best we can with what we have and then when it's not wrong, we celebrate!