Here's what I've been learning in a practical way recently: people are most motivated when they have ownership of an idea.

I agree with suggestions to let the teacher do a lot of talking. If you come to her asking for input and help, she may be more responsive than if you approach her saying or even indirectly implying that your son is bored. This can interpreted negatively ("They said I'm a boring teacher!!") I'm not saying it's MEANT that way. I'm saying it can be INTERPRETED that way.

If she comes up with a creative idea to help him feel challenged and feels that she has ownership of something that will really help one of her students, she'll be more likely to be enthusiastic about the extra effort required. You might be able to inspire some ideas by mentioning, for example, how far his writing has come in only a week. Lots of brainy activities also help writing.

Gifted kids are different. HG+ kids are really, really different. I have to stop now but want to get into some of my recents thoughts about this idea this evening.

Val