I'm reading this thread with interest - lots of good suggestions. I do have a quick question for JBDad, though (or anyone else, really): What is the best way to set up the initial meeting?

When I ask this, really what I'm wondering is: How do you characterize what you'd like to meet about, and at what level of detail? Is it sufficient just to request a meeting "to find out how he's doing", especially if you mostly intend to listen to what the teacher has to say? And how far into the semester is it appropriate to wait? (DS is only in his second week.)

Our situation is slightly different from JB's, since our DS is only 4.2. He's in a mixed mid-K/K class. They don't have anything like homework (a blessing!), but the downside is that we really don't know what they're doing in class. It's clear that they don't do anything in math or reading that comes close to challenging DS, but the question is what they are doing and whether DS is getting something out of it. That's really what we'd like to find out. Will the teacher expect us to wait until parent/teacher conferences in Nov to find this out? I guess what I'm saying is that I'm encouraged by all the meetings with teachers that people seem to be having, but I want to know what the standards are for having them.

Can you say "first-time parent"?!

BB