Originally Posted by aeh
DC has not done a single problem set all semester, nor did we ever acquire the textbook. Average: 100+

No textbook = awesome. That would go into a bacon or steak fund here. 😂

You’re much gentler than I am, aeh. I mandate effortful time on task. If he can show mastery with the hardest few problems, I give him something he’ll have to grapple with.

General musings for a general audience…

The other day, DS was a bit unsure of himself with an extra proof I made up. It prompted a discussion about striving and a clarification that he shouldn’t implicitly know how to do it, that I expect failure initially, and that it’s part of the process. Then we talked about how researchers tackle novel problems, entrepreneurs create new markets, and explorers discover new worlds. Creation is bold and intimidating.

We broached anxiety around perfectionism, and the fact that it’s okay not to know the answer immediately. He tried several approaches and failed before figuring it out.

This is why I provide extra content at home. Regardless of what he receives as instruction in school, I want him to learn to be comfortable outside his comfort zone, and that’s only going to happen if he sees what he’s capable of. I don’t want university or grad school to be the first time he encounters a challenge.

Math happens to be our particular vehicle for this because we both have strength and interest in this area. But the concept generalizes across subjects.

What is to give light must endure burning.