Portia, you’ve given me a lot of helpful info about pathways through HS.

From what you’ve described, it seems like live AOPS classes might not be a good fit for DS next year. He’d have difficulty maintaining focus that late in the day, and I suspect there might be some frustration for him yet in the chat-only interface. The material and pacing seems appropriate, though; so self-paced instruction at home and a flipped class arrangement for math might be a viable option. DS is doing a blend of their prealgebra and algebra program this year.

This week, I had a lovely conversation with the program director at the preferred middle school. They seem extremely flexible and willing to allow students to accelerate, and the initial rapport was strong. Although DS won’t be formally registered until the new year, he has been assured a space. I mentioned his math acceleration, and they didn’t seem to think it would be a problem to carry on progress.

The school has agreed to port over DS’ IEP and adopt his current (successful) accommodations in full. They’ve also offered that work can have discretionary deliverables, with scope and outputs tailored to DS’ interests, without my having to ask.

All in all, a positive start.

What is to give light must endure burning.