Reaching out to poll the parenting community here about SSA heading into middle school, as DS10 will be entering 7th grade next year at a new school. I'm school shopping now, and am thinking through feasible pathways through HS for DS.

1 - Background

DS is globally strong, with a particular love of math, debate, commsci, and a mechanical bent. He's already grade-skipped one year, and his current teacher allows him to do mostly project-based learning that she benchmarks at +2 to +3 from grade level.

We have a local option for grade 9 entry that offers AP credits in all the STEM subjects. The question is, how best to bridge over the next two years?

Additional skips are, IMO, not advisable at this time. DS very much needs to be at his current grade-level for executive function. If his future teachers can "soft accelerate" him by providing latitude for more project-based work above level, I think I can keep him sufficiently challenged with a steady supply of advanced research materials. Social and athletic fit is excellent with peers in this age range currently.

2 - Draft plan - your input appreciated!

I'm thinking of having him enter grade 7 with a grade 9 math placement. This would allow him to begin earning HS credits in math early, get his sea legs for testing to develop study skills before it really "counts", and clear the way for AP classes in math (and sciences).

For any here who have been involved in SSA, how have you gone about this?

Potential wrench: The first choice school I'm considering only offers classes up to grade 8. However, I have university training in math, and could apply for special dispensation to teach the class to DS 1-1 in a pinch.

3 - Potential options: to be explored with prospective principal...

- School offers grade 9 class outright to DS as private tutoring on a less frequent schedule - say 1-2 hours / week (otherwise, he'd need more than 1 year of material)

- DS enrolls in AOPS online classes and contests a final assessment to meet provincial standards

- Special dispensation for independent math study at home, ditto final assessment for AOPS option

- Likely infeasible due to geographic distance between schools: DS attends prospective HS for grade 9 math

You'll notice I'm presupposing I get some flavour of what I want here. wink

What is to give light must endure burning.