Originally Posted by HighIQ
This is so ridiculous.
Yes, this is often called "red tape," and "government bureaucracy." Also ridiculous red tape. You nailed it!

I contacted them through the contact us page with my email address. I was hoping that the email would go to the right person.
While some institutions and organizations may provide contact forms for convenience and efficiency, ensuring that all needed information is collected in the initial communication, unfortunately others may provide contact forms as a means of increasing the likelihood that requesters will not have the needed documentation available for any future follow-up.

... ignore my emails ...
In general, organizations and institutions may choose to respond to only those communications which:
- they see as providing a potential benefit to themselves,
- they are required to respond to, according to law.
Requests for student records would require a response, but possibly only if the request was made in a manner which would be conducive to future follow-up and enforcement, holding them accountable to prove they were compliant.

I might as well give up on this if they don't send me a reply. It doesn't matter anyway.
Only you can "pick your battles." Only you can decide what it is worth to you to receive your student records, and therefore what resources you want to dedicate to this project (in terms of time, thought, effort, research, communication, organization, record-keeping, future follow-up, and possibly money).

= - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - =

Three things to keep in mind going forward, as they may apply to many situations:

1) It is worthwhile to learn how things work:
- what your rights and responsibilities are,
- what the other party's rights and responsibilities are,
- what laws, policies, procedures and practices apply.
Investigating this will help to manage your expectations, and will also help you to manage others' expectations.

2) When communicating with an organization or institution, it is wise to be brief, positive, focused and on-topic.
Avoid "kitchen-sinking," complaining, or airing grievances.

3) For each project, keep a "paper trail."
For example, this may be a box or drawer with manila file folders, a tabbed ring binder, an old-fashioned IN/OUT basket on a desk, or any other system which keeps your documentation organized for ease of future follow-up.

= - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - =