My eldest was tested with the WPPSI at age 3, as a prerequisite for early school entry. Unfortunately, the psychologist also administered a school readiness test before the WPPSI, so including the pretest interview, DD had been sitting in the room for three hours (there was a snack, drink & toilet break between tests) and invoked the psychologist’s promise that testing could be split into two sessions if necessary. However, because there was only one section to go, the psychologist insisted on pushing on, even though DD stood her ground and calmly refused to answer any more questions (which in retrospect I admire, but at the time was nerve wracking). Whilst the FSIQ estimate did get her into the early entry program, her score for the last section was very clearly a gross underestimate (with no comment on what transpired during the test process), so we did get her retested at age 9 by a different psychologist. Using the SBV & SBLM, her FSIQ estimate was revised significantly upwards which was hardly surprising. My other kids were also tested at ages 4 and 3 respectively (the youngest also for the purpose of early school entry) - both psychologists included in their comments that they suspected the FSIQ were underestimates (in my son’s case his lowest subsection score was in quantitative reasoning but he has completed Yr 12 maths three years early with a score of 98% and has been invited to both the AMT SoE & Selection School), so we haven’t bothered with IQ re-evaluations.

ETA: Take home message - testing is expensive. If it’s undertaken at ages 3-4 for early school entry consideration, insist that only the IQ test is performed in the session. Any other assessments should be scheduled for another day. When I’ve observed other 3 yr olds since then, I can’t believe how calm mine remained as she called the psychologist out on breaking her promise.

Last edited by Eagle Mum; 06/21/20 05:39 PM.