Good point Kriston about picking a main issue without bombarding her with too many competing issues.

If it's okay, I'll put on my writing tutor hat and ask you some questions... smile quote]
Yay! I need structure smile

What is the most important point for you to make in this letter? What is most important for the teacher to know about your DS?
I guess most importantly, I want her to know that the second grade math and reading curriculum will likely be inadquate for DS. He is capable of math and reading several grade levels ahead.

It sounds like how you present yourself in the letter is an issue for you, too. You don't want her to think you're one of "those" moms who push their kids, right? I think that's a tone issue more than anything.

Exactly - I want her to know we are not flash card parents, that he spends most of his non-school time playing and that we want his school time to be spent learning - - so we don't have to resort to afterschooling.

Do you want to discuss the skip in the letter? Or do you want to stay focused on your DS's needs? That might help with how you're perceived. If she thinks you're too focused on the skip, she might get the wrong idea about you. But then again, you don't want to ignore the elephant in the room...

I'm fine not focusing on the skip because I don't really have any concerns about it. It's others that are concerned (perhaps even the teacher).

I don't know if this helps...

It definitely helps - I needed to hone in my main concern. Is it overkill, though, in the first letter to her to basically infer that he will need more challenge than most of the other second graders? From an outsider's standpoint, I can see how that could be seen as jumping the gun.