Originally Posted by indigo
This webpage from CollegRank.Net may help explain the differences between college and university:
What Is The Difference Between College and University?

Helpful link, thank you! That is more complex than our system. We have only universities and TAFE (formalized further education not at university level, apprenticeships often involve formal course work at TAFE). Our children rarely "go away" to university unless the course they want is not available locally, or they have another specific reason.

There are private boarding facilities situated near universities which are used by interstate, overseas and rural students and they generally have "college" in their names but I don't know that much about them as I have never known anyone who used one. Actually I had one semi-rural friend when I was at uni who stayed in one during the week. It's possible they provide tutors and emotional support but I think mostly it's room and meals. They don't offer courses, just somewhere to live near a university.

Many of our universities hold a percentage of their post graduate places, particularly in popular courses, for their own undergraduate students as an incentive to start out your study with them. Entry is purely on a nationally standardized high school score (with exceptions for certain courses which may also have an audition or interview). Sometimes popular postgraduate courses will be offered as a guaranteed pathway from the undergraduate degree if your high school entrance mark is high enough (ie at the universities which don't offer undergraduate medicine they may offer a guaranteed place in graduate entry medicine, or guaranteed psychology honors year, one uni offers a guaranteed post grad degree of your choice for the highest .05% of students)