Originally Posted by MumOfThree
For those of us in other countries that believed that your "college" = our "university" (which I have always believed), this comment suggests that you have both colleges and universities and that leaves me wondering what IS college? An extra 4 years of boarding school after highschool but before university?

There was another post with a particular emphasis that also seemed to suggest college was not equal to university... but now that I am replying I can't see the thread to find it.

This webpage from CollegRank.Net may help explain the differences between college and university:
What Is The Difference Between College and University?

I'm aware of colleges becoming universities... with much press, fanfare, and celebratory events... usually after faculty reaching a RESEARCH milestone.

For undergrad work, conventional wisdom was: attend a college which is focused on developing and investing in its students, rather than a research university which is focused on developing and investing in itself. Depending upon what one is studying, I can see either approach/strategy as helpful.