Thank you for all the great advice! I have already spoken with my son about many of these suggestions.

While we originally were dismissing it. We have discussed him playing a reduced schedule of travel hockey with his age specific team. His hockey rink seems open to this concept given his situation and because he has been a good player with them for so long.

He is also set to attend two GA Tech weekend events - a retreat and orientation, which should help him meet people. He is planning to do research and look for a lab over the summer once he starts classes at Tech.

Unfortunately the gap year is tough because he wants to go abroad but it is difficult to do at his age and my husband and I have jobs and 3 other kids. He is just not old enough for most programs nor is he interested in getting a job or doing a year of community service. He thinks maybe between his BS and Med school could be the right time for a gap year abroad.

He is an avid reader and very aware of the world landscape of events. He engages well with adults and people much older than him as well as his age peers. Almost uncanny how he can transition between groups so well.

Transportation is tricky but we are thinking the local Marta train will work as it is set up and being used today for many kids younger than him to commute to private schools. We are going to get him a meal plan and he has a credit card already.

We have discussed him adding 2 minors and doing 3 years vs the 2 he will need to graduate at GA Tech. He plans to live on campus in a year for the last 1 or 2 years.

I know the experience won't be exactly normal but trying to make sure he doesn't miss out on the college experience completely nor lose all his childhood.