Thank you very much for your answers.

Sanne - what you suggest is very interesting! I certainly make plenty of mistakes (I am terribly absent-minded, so I am always forgetting things) but I'll try to model seeing those mistakes in a constructive way (I still have to learn this myself).

After reading your answers, I guess my question is: how do you know when you have to "do something" about school? This might be obvious if your child is complaining or displaying certain behaviours, but DS is very adaptative and hates feeling isolated, so he soon finds common ground with his peers.

Right now he seems happy, but I know for a fact he already knows many of the things they are learning. They've been working on a (very basic) project about the Solar System for many months now. DS could identify all the planets and was building models of the Solar System when he was two, but he doesn't seem to mind to do it all over again.

He taught himself to read shortly after turning 4 and was writting and spelling at 3, but more than one year later he can't read fluently and doesn't want to practice either (none of his friends can read yet as the school won�t teach them until they are 6).

Last year, when he was 4, they did a small math-related project (which simply involved writting numbers). He was so excited that he would wake me up in the morning asking about addition facts, then figured out how to add and substract tens, then how to add two digit numbers in his head, then how to do operations with negative numbers, but I don�t think he ever mentioned any of this this at school.

I am not planning to do anything about this right now (the Summer is almost here, anyway), but should I just let him be, as long as he is happy and doesn�t complain? He�s not a child who likes pursuing his own projects at home. He mainly wants to do what his friends do.

Last edited by Isabel; 04/19/18 03:06 AM.