Those are all really good suggestions, Sanne. Thank you. I know the answers to some already, as they are on the district's website. Oddly, the website contains fairly detailed information about the identification process, but very little about the actual services that are offered. I will be sure to ask about whether the IQ screening/tests they administer are group or individual and whether a supportive (quiet, non-rushed) setting is provided.

We are very much hoping to avoid a discussion of actual grade acceleration for the time being, as our son is small for his age, on the young side of his grade anyway, and loves sports. So far, his interest in sports is the main way that he relates to other kids his age, so it seems important to consider. However, I think the question of how easily an acceleration could be reversed is really great to keep in mind if we do need to have this discussion.

On further consideration of my own question, I have some "crazy" ideas that it might be nice to run by the K teachers. For example, since our son has nearly completed the second grade math curriculum in Dreambox already (his own initiative after seeing his older sister playing), could he be allowed to do something else entirely during math time? Subject to testing, of course. We could take care of his math education at home and let him have some breathing room at school to study his chess tactics, for instance, or independently work on a foreign language, or generally follow his obsessive interests, which are always worthwhile learning pursuits. This sounds dreamy and crazy, but the whole point of having his preschool teacher float these ideas for us is that I don't need to worry about that! I'm hoping we can harness his autodidact tendencies to open some possibilities for him. Is that a pipe dream or should we try for it?