I am a little late in the mix, and I didn't read all the answers, but as the parent of a gifted dyslexic...its weird. Since we homeschool we are in a different situation, and there is no one to "keep up" with or compare with. I have not pushed spelling until now, my daughter is 11 and wants to be a better speller. I know 11 is old, but I have seen how quickly she learns when she knows she is ready and when the desire comes from her. She was almost 10 before she read well. She went from a 2nd grade reading level to a 7th grade reading level in one year or less and is now able to read just about anything and reads all the time. I see the look on people's face when I talk about her dyslexia...since she eats up 2-4 novels a week. Kids with dyslexia are supposed to be bad readers. About a year ago we began letting her use voice to text for writing, and she now writes novelettes and posts them to wattpad. She is a very strong writer and this adaptation has really let her flourish and get to the next level. And her love for writing has inspired her to learn to spell, and she is working with "sequential spelling" which is a zillion time better (for people with dyslexia) than the phonics way of learning spelling. We started at a very low level though, like 2nd grade. She is going 2-4 "daily lessons" each day. Not sure where I am going with this, but just letting you know, this is what 2e dyslexic/gifted looks like. We looked into dysgraphia due to the difference in writing/reading, but that wasn't the issue. I find it amazing the way the gifted dyslexic mind works. I am still not sure exactly how she learned to read so well.