Originally Posted by readermom123
Other possibly pertinent information: My son also had a LOT of trouble with handwriting last year and this year. During kindergarten and at the beginning of this year, he was still 'drawing' his letters instead of having a good internalized idea of how to write each letter correctly. He's made lots of progress and looks a lot better but definitely doesn't have 'good' handwriting yet.

On the dysgraphia front: As others have said regarding handwriting, it could be dysgraphia, or it could just be an indication that more practice is needed. My DS6 has been weak in handwriting due to a lack of interest in arts and crafts as a younger boy, and had a similar pattern. As it turns out, neither his kindergarten teacher nor his current teacher was requiring him to do ANY practice handwriting in class!

I've since intervened and had him practice letter formation and writing regularly. We originally sat down with lined journals each and practiced writing letters and words for 10 or 15 minutes a day to master the basics. DS is progressing through the "Handwriting Without Tears" books, and his handwriting is now quite good. Three months ago, I was considering dysgraphia as a possibility, but I've since ruled it out. In your DS' case, if the issue resolves with limited writing instruction, it's not dysgraphia. smile

On the spelling front, I will put in a shameless plug for "All About Spelling" (the OG spelling program linked to the reading program Platypus mentioned). My DS doesn't have any 2E diagnosis to date, but with some family history of dyslexia on the paternal side, I figured an OG spelling program was a good idea, regardless. If your child is dyslexic, it can be a helpful remedy; else, it's still an excellent spelling program for neurotypical children!

I think it's excellent that your DS' teacher is so attuned to his abilities that she's considering a less understood possibility and bringing it to your attention now. What a great ally to have in your child's education.

What is to give light must endure burning.