Welcome to the forum, FC2!

My first advice to you is that the final report from the psych-ed will most likely be helpful in addressing some of your questions. Have you already seen a draft copy? If you have, and could share whether or not there was any variation in subtest scores on the IQ test, or any observations or other notes re test results from the psych that might be helpful for getting ideas/suggestions here.

Also, fwiw, it was really helpful to me to schedule a follow-up meeting with our neuropsych *after* I'd had a chance for the first meeting with the neuropsych where they presented the report, and then had a few days to re-read the final report and let what I'd heard at the first meeting sink in. I found that I had a ton of questions that didn't come up until I'd had a few days to think through what the evaluator had found and recommended... plus naturally I googled the heck out of all the new info I had, which in turn led to more questions wink

Re emotional sensitivity and anxiety - for two of my kids, this was tied to undiagnosed challenges, and once the underlying cause was identified and dealt with the anxiety receded. For my 2e ds anxiety was more of an issue than sensitivity, and just knowing that he had a diagnosis/name to put with the struggle he was experiencing (and an adult - parent - who cared enough to get him help for it) made a noticeably huge difference in reducing anxiety. My oldest dd was extremely sensitive in early elementary - and also worried a lot but didn't share her worries with anyone. We found out she had a severe vision issue when she was in 2nd grade, and working through that helped reduce the extreme sensitivities.... as well as helped her start to open up and talk about her anxieties that she hadn't shared previously. She's still an anxious kid, but she shares her worries with us and we deal with them one by one based on what the worry is. My youngest dd has a lot of extreme sensitivities.... in her case it's more of an inborn personality, and we deal with it in many different ways, not sure that specifics would be helpful for another child that we don't know well. In general she needs time to process her thoughts independently and away from other people when she's first upset, this helps her calm down and see things more rationally, and then after either an hour or so or sometimes a full day, she wants to talk it through.

Re whether to medicate for ADHD - that's a really personal, individual decision. My only advice is to first get the report from the psych-ed evaluator, and be sure it's ADHD that your child is dealing with, and also consider the impact on your child's functioning. Both of my older kids were thought to have ADHD when they were in early elementary - for ds we found out the real issue was his 2e challenge (not ADHD-related), for dd most ADHD-ish symptoms seemed to disappear once her vision challenges were remediated... but as she entered middle school she began to wonder if she had ADHD. She's in high school now and we're still trying to figure it out! Sometimes, with some kids, it's easy and direct to get to the root of challenges, other times it's not. Read all you can about medicating or not medicating, but remember to listen to your own instincts re you child.

Originally Posted by FC2
We had considered moving him to an "experiential learning" school but hate to move him away from his existing support structure (teachers that know us, "get" him and can work with him).

Our 2e ds had fairly severe anxiety prior to his initial diagnosis at 8... and one of the recommendations made by our neuropsych was to move him to a different school. We really thought that we had him in the "right" school because we thought we had teachers who provided a good support structure and had what I thought was a good working relationship with those teachers, also thought we had a great learning environment for our ds... and considered that moving schools would mean he'd have to start over socially etc. We even talked to our ds about it and he didn't want to change schools - so we thought keeping him in the school he was at was the right choice at that point in time. We didn't move him for another 3 years.. at which point in time he told *us* he was not going back to the school he was in. What we found out when we made the switch (we went to the school the neuropsych originally recommended) was that we weren't seeing the forest because we were surrounded by the trees. Changing the school environment made a huge difference not only in our ds' life but in our lives as parents who were advocating for him. The first school he was in is a great school - but it wasn't the right school for ds, wasn't where he was going to have his best shot at being successful. I just couldn't see as a parent how the first situation was a part of the driver behind ds' anxiety until ds was older and could understand it somewhat himself, and until I'd had a chance to experience a different situation. I don't know what the answer is for your ds, but I'd suggest asking the psych-ed evaluator for their recommendation re schools (both what school might work best for your ds as well as how to accommodate/make school work best).

If you have further questions etc after you've received the psych-ed report, let us know.

Best wishes,

polarbear