Originally Posted by ann55
Do you get uncomfortable responses when people ask what grade your kid is going into?

I find that in general, there is such a negative view towards grade acceleration. "I wouldn't do that to my kids" is the general response.

What do you say when people don't really know your child's abilities and you tell them she is in a grade higher than what they expect her to be in? Do you ever offer an explanation or just try to shut down further conversation?

Fortunately DS is tall enough and outgoing enough that most people who casually ask his grade don't realize that he is grade skipped.

I actually get MORE problems in public with people who ask my DD what grade she's in. She DIDN'T skip a grade, but is SUPER SHORT for her age. Most people just assume she's about 2 years younger than she really is.

Our biggest issues were in talking to the school and various school people about grade-skipping beforehand. Even the school secretary tried to tell me skipping a grade was a terrible idea. And one of DS's 2 first grade-teachers (they were team teaching) ambushed me with a "check in meeting" early in the year, with the school counselor in tow, in which she tried to convince me that I was ruining his life. The teacher was a jerk all year, but the school counselor never dared enter that fray again. The OTHER teacher of the pair was really excellent.

He's lucky he's a 2nd child. I was a lot more worried about other people's opinions when my daughter was young. In most situations I brush other people's commentary off and move on.

Last edited by Aufilia; 08/09/17 03:39 PM.