It is extremely sad that there are people who value children based on their accomplishments, rather than their humanity, and thus become unable to appreciate diverse talents above and below their own children's. (Or, really, those of their own children, either.) I only became aware much later of how hard our parents worked to shield us from such unfortunate comments.

We've been blessed in our current community to have encountered mainly curious persons, rather than antagonistic or competitive ones. I think it helps that we homeschool, and live in a community with a moderately present group of homeschoolers. (E.g., one day at the library, the children's librarian asked one of my children's grade. When the child hesitated and looked to me, she immediately concluded that we homeschool, as she was already acclimated to the phenomenon of homeschooled children not knowing/having a specific grade level.) And generally, I also just give the conventional grade-for-age, except for the oldest, who was grade-skipped twice while in b&m school, prior to homeschooling. #1 has not had nasty comments about grade-skipping, but it is quite possible that this is a singularity related to DC's irresistibly friendly personality. smile

ETA: And let me assure you that I am NOT implying that any child subjected to mean remarks is not friendly...my last remark was intended to be purely light-hearted.

Last edited by aeh; 07/12/17 03:11 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...