Originally Posted by gmama
First, a disclaimer: child in question is quite bright, but not gifted. I am hoping you'll be willing to lend me some of your seasoned assessment perspectives anyway. This is mainly to satisfy my curiosity; I feel comfortable with the path we're on regarding supporting his weaknesses so he can enjoy his strengths.

Child was evaluated at 6 yo because he was MISERABLE in school. Always felt like he was a quirky kid and thought if we understood his unique strengths/weaknesses better we could help him be happier at school. First round of assessment showed strength in verbal comprehension (133/99th percentile), high average visual spatial (87th), average fluid reasoning (58th), high average working memory (79th), low average processing speed (13th). He was also diagnosed with inattentive ADHD.

Two years later, TD coordinator suggests we re-do assessment so he can be considered for TD program (his prior scores were "expired" and his CogAt scores didn't seem to reflect his ability). At the time of testing, we had started him on ADHD meds but it wasn't yet at an effective dose (we have since increased and things have improved for him beautifully!). His new scores are: GAI 127/96th percentile (she would not report his FSIQ), verbal 130/98th, visual spatial 108/70th, fluid reasoning 128/97th, working memory 110/75th, processing speed 86/18th.

I suppose I'm surprised that his visual spatial scores are so much lower (17 percentage points) and the fluid reasoning such much higher (almost 40 percentage points!). Is that strange or is it not and I just don't understand how this all works?

Also, while his working memory and processing scores seem comparable, the subscales showed a lot of variation - 2 years ago digit span and picture span were 11 and 13 respectively; this spring they were 8 and 15, with a third scale being 13. For coding and symbol search, prior scores were 11 and 3; current scores are flip-flopped, 5 and 10. Wouldn't you expect these patterns at least to be consistent?

I'm curious, and if you have any thoughts to share, I'm interested in hearing them!

Thanks!

My DS took the WISC IV when he was 6 and received a 132 composite for non verbal reasoning. The higher score was Block Design. Matrix reasoning was 14 or 15. A superior score, but not gifted.
The tester (wonderful woman with over 20 years in gifted education) said that it was her opinion that matrix reasoning (part of the fluid reasoning score) is vulnerable to developmental stages/factors. In other words, she expected that the matrix reasoning score would go up.
In our case, when DS took the WISC V two years later as part of a neuropsych for ADHD testing (by eight, it was apparent that he had ADHD), the matrix reasoning was at a ceiling of 19. We didn't ask for extended norms, but based on the overall fluid reasoning score (arithmetic was lower at 14), we think matrix reasoning was around 150. At age six, it in the 125 range.
So, obviously, this is personal experience, but based on the scores, the original tester obviously knew her stuff.
Also, our son's VCI decreased somewhat on the WISC V (still within the confidence interval like your DS).
My DS continues to be unmedicated (we take it month by month)--his processing scores and working memory scores remain stable in the gifted and superior range. What does change is the amount of material (calling for heavier working memory and better processing)- we are beginning to notice the strain esp. with longer reading comprehension passages.
These are just my experiences.

Last edited by cammom; 05/03/17 12:32 PM.