You seem to be quick to dismiss his abilities. I noticed his processing speed is 18th percentile and verbal 98th percentile. This makes me think of my son - and how I thought about him when he was 6.

At 6 years old, my son's processing speed was 21st percentile and verbal was upper 90's, I don't recall exactly. His FSIQ was high-average at 68th percentile. His school said he was "normal" and "typical", and didn't help other than a reading comprehension pullout.

He was miserable in school, I put him into a virtual school 2 to 3 grades accelerated. Only when I saw him doing his schoolwork did I start to notice that he was not doing well and he was diagnosed with ADHD at 7 years old.

At 8 years old, with stimulant medication, he retook the WISC. His processing speed was 50th percentile, and that pulled his GAI up to 141. His evaluator noted that he had correct answers outside of the scorable time, and we later learned his immediate release medication didn't last nearly as long as we thought - two factors that could be expected to depress the score by an unknown amount.

Because of his slow processing speed, we thought he was average but it turns out he's more in the extremely gifted group. With the results of the second WISC, he was formally grade-skip accelerated 3 grades, plus additional subject acceleration so that in 4th grade he is doing high school level work.

My first question is if he is medicated, and if yes, is his medication effective. Does he sleep well? Do you think his ADHD is well-controlled?

Does he have an IEP or 504 that adequately addresses his slow processing speed?

I would suggest the possibility that his ADHD symptoms are masking intelligence. If this is the case, his ADHD treatment needs re-evaluation. If his ADHD symptoms mask his academic abilities, this will become apparent as his symptoms abate.

Last edited by sanne; 05/03/17 09:31 AM.