If you are not interested in grade skipping, supplementing academics at home might be a poor choice.

My son's 1st grade (6 year old) winter MAPS scores were lower than your son's - math 214, reading 206.

I chose to supplement at home.

The elementary school starts their gifted program in 2nd grade. By that time, my son was doing 5th and 6th grade work and would have been bussed to the middle/high school for part of the day. (No way!) He is accelerated 5 grade levels now and homeschooled. He will likely graduate high school at 14, but I'm trying to delay that until he has his driver's license at 16.

My son's IQ is *not particularly high* as compared to the children of many of the forum members. He's barely over the Mensa cut off, while Davidson Young Scholars are a whole standard deviation higher intelligence. He's not so far ahead because he's so brilliant. He's so far ahead because I let him do continuous progress acceleration in "afterschooling" with me and later with a virtual charter school.

Supplementing academics at home is easy and immediate, but has unintended consequences down the road. If your son is doing well in school (socially, emotionally), then advocating for him for differentiation (reading) and subject acceleration (math) might be a better fit.

If you choose to supplement and you are sure that you do not want grade-skip acceleration in the future, I recommend non-academic choices. Music lessons, dog training classes, 4-H projects, or elective classes which the school does not offer.

Last edited by sanne; 03/02/17 05:18 PM.