ARRRGHHHH!
Willa, I am screaming at my keyboard out of frustration as an OT!!!!! I have absolutely NO tolerance for people who use that "difference between educational and medical OT" argument.

Regarding OT: it is a medical profession, just like speech therapy and physical therapy. It is, under special education federal law, considered to be a supplemental intervention brought in to support educational goals, when the child's disability requires the expertise of an OT. There is no such thing as "educational OT." There is OT that is done to support educational goals. Because the medical condition of the child DOES impact the ability to learn.

Has the school based OT stated that Mite does not need OT in the school? If so, then you are dealing with an OT who is not experienced enough or educated enough to provide the services he needs in the school. Now, intervention provided in the school IS different than intervention provided in a clinic. At the school the therapist is limited by equipment, space and time. And all intervention must be linked to support the educational goals. But you are right, Mite needs OT to help him deal with the bilateral integration and praxis issues that prohibit him from producing written work. That is clearly a school need for OT.

Mite would probably also benefit from OT outside of a school, as in a clinic setting he would likely get more intensity, more frequency and faster outcomes. I often see children in the clinic who are also receiving school OT. And often the school therapist is *shocked* by the sudden improvements she sees in the child. Because the interventions I can provide, at the intensity and frequency I can provide, make the difference in getting results.

I think it would be great to ask directly whether they "believe" the private evaluations or are in disagreement with them. Then I would ask to see their OT degree/credentials as well as their qualifications as neuropsychs. I've actually seen teachers disagree with a developmental pediatrician who diagnosed a child as autistic. "Well, he doesn't *look* autistic to us" they say. Oy! how frustrating.