Originally Posted by Val
As an example, Khan Academy videos can teach an individual skill, but they don't (and can't) provide the kind of subtleties and connections that a knowledgeable teacher provides. So while I agree that a motivated kid with a high IQ will get through Khan stuff quickly, IMO, the learning will be superficial and algorithm based. Also, in many areas, there's no substitute for a discussion in class.

Exactly. If anything, I would suggest the feat of gifted students being effective auto-didactic learners is actually a bigger challenge than for other students.

Gifted students will face greater asynchrony between interest level and metacognitive skills than conventional peers, and the types of answers and feedback gifted students will need to learn at a high level will be harder to reach independently because of their complexity.

If a gifted child has perfectionistic leanings--or if the classroom setting doesn't reward the child seeking out more complex information from learning facilitators (e.g. teachers, senior peers)--I fear an over-emphasis on autodidactic learning risks disenfranchising gifted students early in their academic careers.

Now, that being said, I think there is a role for inculcating self-teaching skills in students gradually, so that they ultimately become self-sufficient learners in the way that Val describes. However, I would argue that executive function is the underlying cluster of skills being developed. Although conscious effort can train executive function, executive function still remains something that is developed through physical maturation.

What is to give light must endure burning.